K.L.E. Society’s S. Nijalingappa College, established in the year 1963, is one of the premier institutions of K.L.E Society. It made a humble beginning in a rented building on Mahatma Gandhi Road, near Mayo Hall, as a Science College. It was shifted to the present premises in 1966. The founder Principal Dr.V.G. Nelivigi laid a firm foundation for the college and was responsible for development of the college, by its inclusion under 2(f) and 12(B) of UGC.
The College has seen phenomenal growth in terms of courses offered, quality enhancement, students & staff strength besides development in infrastructure. The College offers higher education to 2,567 students from all sections of the society. We are proud to celebrate Golden Jubilee this year 2014, on the successful completion of 50 years.
Over its glorious service of more than half a century to the community, the college has earned many significant laurels. The crowing ones of these are: it has the rare distinction of having been accredited at ‘A’ level by NAAC in 2004 and re-accredited at ‘A’ Grade by NAAC in 2010 with a CGPA of 3.82 on a 4 point scale, highest in Karnataka; it has received the status of the ‘College with Potential for Excellence’ (CPE) in 2010 by UGC; further, the UGC has accorded the status of the ‘College with Potential for Excellence'(CPE) in April 2014 for the second time and has granted 1.5 crores, which is a rare feat achieved by only a handful of top-ranking colleges in India.
The College conducts a range of courses well-suited to cater to the diverse needs of the evolving higher-educational scenario at the national as well as global level. An overview of the courses offered by us is presented below.
16 UG Programs in
- Arts (HEP, JPE,JPP)
- Science (PCM, CBZ, PME, MECs, PMCs, CBBT, CZBT)
- Commerce (BCOM and BCOM-Tourism)
- Hotel Management (BHM)
- Business Administration (BBA)
- Computer Application (BCA)
- Fashion and Apparel Design (FAD)
7 PG programs in
- Commerce (M.Com)
- MCA(Computer Application)
- MTA (Tourism Administration)
- 5 year integrated course in Tourism Administration.
The College also conducts UGC funded Certificate courses under the aegis of career oriented programs on: Plant Tissue Culture; NGO Management and Development; Networking with Net-sim; Radio Production and Programming (Radio Jockey); Personality Development; German and French; Animation and Visual Effects; Anchoring; Voice Acting; and Personal Financial Management.
The College has the credit of having organized 12 UGC Sponsored State/National level Seminars, Conference & Workshops. It also has entered into MOU with CLHRD Mangalore, Tally India Pvt. Ltd, IFX Chennai, Kensington College of Business, London, Ehime University Japan, E-Parisaraa, Bangalore and others for teaching as well as research.
Major Achievements of the college in 2013-14
- 2 ongoing Major Research Projects funded by UGC.
- 9 Completed Minor Research Projects funded by UGC.
- 4 ongoing Minor Research Projects funded by UGC.
- 24 University ranks and 2 gold medals.
- 975 students placed through college placement cell.
- 6 NCC cadets participated in RD parade at New Delhi.
- Runners-up in Bangalore University youth festival consecutively for past 3 years