The department of Kannada was established along that the college of “Mayo hall” in 1963. Its objectives were to emphasize the importance of the Kannada language creativity in young minds and to contribute to the allround development of our students. The first lecture appointed in the Kannada department, was smt. Shantha kadagada, who was been responsible for the departments progress simultaneously with that of the college. Her long drown service of 35 years a demonstration to this fact. The Kannada department has always evinced a keen interest in the holistic development of the students without confining itself only to the academic aspect.
With a well knit history of over 50 years, this department has catered to expensed it’s horizon to degree students in 1966, with the good wishes of the administrative staff and the best support of the Principal, HOD., and the teaching faculty. The department gives an support to Kannada Literary and Cultural activities throughout the year. The major events under it were – Inter-collegiate Essay, Debate and Singing competitions and Inter-department Poetry recitation, Debates, Essay, Quiz Literary discussions, Drama, Dance, Music programmes, Discussions with Literary Personalities and other activities. These were the events which saw the enthusiastic involvment of literary celebrities, politicians, social workers and accademicus as chief guests who served as the beacon lights to the students’ community.
Besides the above activities one – “Two days National seminar” (12 and 13 April 2007) and one- “One day State seminar” (7-3-2007).The Department taken One MRP and ‘Rangabhoomi Karyagara’ Workshop during the year 2011-12. One MRP and One ‘Translation Certificate Course’ conducted during the year 2012-13 under UGC-CPE Programme. ‘Pracheena Kavya Rasagrahana Shibhira’- Certificate course has been taken under the collaboration with Kannada Abhivruddhi Pradhikara.
Research oriented activities have always been given thrust through students Project works and Field visits . To facilitate the learner we have a ‘Department Library’ consisting 850 Books, besides One Computer with Printer also. The present students’ strength is 1274. The result has always been progressive with a minimum pass percentage of 95% and above for the past years.
Names of Programmes / Courses offered:
- UG – BA, B.Sc ,B.Com, JPE/JPP, BCA, BBA, B.Sc (FAD), BHM, B.Com( Tourism)
- PG – MTA (Integrated)
- All programmes – Semester – Prior to 2013-14
- Semester with CBCS -2014-15 Onwards
Goals and objectives of the Department
- To create interest, spirit and good will of regional language
- To train various features of Kannada literature
- To develop rich culture and tradition through Kannada literature
- To enhance ethics and socio-cultural values through regional language
- To nurture sprit of unity, integrity ,equality among students
- To develop versatile knowledge through literature
- To create awareness of the importance of Kannada language both in government and private sector.
- To focus on holistic development of student
- To enhance proficiency of communication skill in Kannada.
Infrastructure of the Department
- Total Built up area 400 sqft. Staff Room
- Department Library
- Computer , Printer with Scanner
- Audio Player
- Internet facilities for Staff & Students: upto 2 mbps BSNL Broad Band